Iodized Salt Value Chain Study
(January 2016-October 2016)
Project Location: Salt production area and divisional cities
The main objective of the study is to conduct a comprehensive analysis of salt supply chain starting from the salt production field to consumer end via the manufacturers to assess the value addition at different points of the supply chain and develop a set of recommendations on the possible range of the quantum of reduction in the cost of production and cost of wholesale or retail purchase which may have implications on the purchase of iodized salt by every section of the society, whether poor or rich. The study analysis and findings also includes the macro picture of the supply chain which will be used as an informed source for MI’s future programming.
Services under Value Chain Study:
- Actual production or service cost at each segment of the supply chain of iodized salt and most feasible cost of iodized salt for consumers
- Identify key constraints and leverage points, identify market-based solutions to overcome challenges and take advantage of opportunities
- Mapping the salt supply chain to understand the destination of food grade salt (iodized salt) and industrial salt to document the salt distribution system
- Effective areas of government or agencies intervention to reduce the cost of iodized salt and future programming
Scope of Work
The selected consultant will perform the following tasks:
- Review relevant document to understand background and context of assignment.
- Review different incentives provided by the Government to the millers
- Conduct a field visit to gain field-based understanding of context.
- Participate in a team planning (kick-off) meeting with MI to review study objectives, share results from field visit, agree on modalities of coordination, etc.
- Develop the study design outlining methods and timeline (design to be included in inception report).
- Conduct fieldwork/data collection activities.
- Analyze data.
- Present top line findings of the diagnostic and mapping and recommendations and present to MI internally and relevant partners and stakeholders (up to 2 presentations).
- Draft final report and finalize based on MI’s comments, meeting international quality standards to enable global distribution (up to 5 copies).